I came across this on Twitter yesterday – Tobias Buckell tweeted about it. I recommend checking out the comments to his story A Game of Rats and Dragon in Lightspeed Magazine – they’re funny, sad an infuriating in equal measure. I do wonder who this Chris Fowler guy is and what his beef is – ostensibly the guy is complaining because he says Buckell is ripping off Cordwainer Smith’s story The Game of Rat and Dragon, whereas Buckell positions it as a homage to Cordwainer Smith’s story. However, the comments section gets out of hand and this chap Chris ends up insulting all and sundry!
There’s some news about Alt Hist, one of the magazines I edit Update on Alt Hist Issue 5 | Alt Hist: Historical Fiction and Alternate History.
Still looking for some quality stories for the next issue – I’m probably getting pickier in my old age!
I thought it would be cool to compare Christmas wish lists for books, but not wish-lists for actual books that exist. What are the top 5 books you wish were going to be out for Christmas but aren’t because they don’t exist and haven’t been written yet?
- Follow-up to Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke
- A new story featuring Severian the Torturer, courtesy of Gene Wolfe
- A new Robert Harris thriller – I’ve read all of them and even sampled one of his non-fiction works!
- Lord of the Rings sequel (Sauron fights back) by J. R. R. Tolkien
- A decent sequel to Star Wars turned into a decent film as well – i.e. episodes 7 to 9!
What are your most wished for books?
I have now published my first collection of short stories. Tales of Magic and Mayhem contains five tales – all with a fantasy theme, some are historically set, while others are pure fantasy.
The stories featured are:
- Chivalry: A Jake Savage Adventure
- Bird Talk: A Tale of Medieval Magic
- Bisclavret (The Werewolf)
- Forged in Blood
- Demon River
You can get the collection either as an eBook or a Printed book. Check out the Tales of Magic and Mayhem page on my site for more details!
If you would like to receive occasional newsletter-style updates from me about my latest book releases – whether they be short stories, collections or even novels, you can now do so by signing up to my mailing list.
Simply complete the form and away you go!